November is Adopt a Senior Pet Month, a month dedicated to helping older pets find homes. Senior pets have so much love and compassion to give, yet they are often overlooked in shelters and tend to have the hardest time finding new homes. In honor of this important cause, BarkYours pulled together a list of the top five reasons we believe you should consider adopting a senior dog:
- With age comes wisdom: a senior dog has been around the block, and he/ she likely has the experience to know what’s right and wrong. You can skip the training (for the most part).
- A senior dog is a loyal companion: the whirlwind toddler years are a distant memory, and the teenage phase is in the past as well. A senior dog has matured and settled down and is ready for his/ her true companion(s).
- What you see is what you get: a senior dog tells it like it is. The personality you see before adoption is the personality you can expect when you bring him/ her home.
- You can teach an old dog new tricks: with a little bribery and patience, you can help a senior dog acclimate to his/ her new home.
- You can give the gift of life: unfortunately, senior dogs are often left in shelters, indefinitely. Adopting them gives them another chance at a joyful life. And, you’ll get lots of love and licks in return!
Hopefully we’ve convinced you to consider adopting a senior pet. And, if it’s not the right decision for you, we hope you’ll at least spread the word so that we can get more senior dogs to a loving home.
At BarkYours, we know that adopting a dog is gift enough. But we also know that sometimes we love our dogs so much, we can’t help but buy them cute gifts and accessories. We recently launched a Crafts for Dogs category on BarkYours, where you can find all sorts of items including dog tags, poop bags, bandanas and collars. Below is just a sampling. We hope you’ll check them out at www.BarkYours.com.